What to Check When Storing a Mattress
05 Oct 2015
Knowing how to either move or store your mattress is of great importance. This applies whether having just purchased a new mattress and are not keen on discarding it or if simply transferring it to a different location. Your mattress may get dampened, damaged or both if not careful to handle it properly during storage. It means you will be unable to sleep in comfort on a mattress that is damaged as it would lose supportive capability. Conversely, a damp one provides the ideal habitat for mildew and mould to breed. Such an instance would easily occasion serious problems of health to the user.
- Mattresses should ideally be stored in conditions which are dry and under climate control. Outdoor sheds and damp basements do not apply in this case. Dry locations within the home or storage unit where humidity and temperature are monitored offer the best environment for storing mattresses. You require juxtaposing a dehumidifier to it for safety purposes, if you make the decision of storing your mattress within a damp surrounding. The device is capable of eradicating excess moisture from the air thus keeping the mattress dry.
- Prior to putting the mattress within the storage area, ensure that it dries up completely. If wet or damp to even minimal degrees, it would be vital exposing it outside to dry it up on a sunny day. Lift the mattress regularly from the ground and allow air to circulate around it. Doing this should expedite the desiccating process. A mattress which is damp ought never to be stored.
- When relocating a mattress, it helps to keep it in upright posture. This shields it from damage by heavy objects, if they are placed on it. As well, the action saves some space. If storing up your mattress for long, it should stand on a surface that is dry to keep it from collapsing on self.
- If storing your mattress in a dry area of storage, wrap it in plastic sheet as this keeps away dust, liquids and soil. You should employ sheets of plastic form if lacking a mattress bag. Make use of duct tape for sealing the plastic wrapping after wrapping. Ascertain that all sections of the mattress get sealed and the wrapping of plastic gets watertight. Putting down the mattress on floor of cement even if wrapped tightly has good potential of damaging it. This happens since it could easily absorb moisture from cement floor.
- When storing your mattress at home, ensure checking it on regular basis to confirm the plastic wrapping bears no tears. Replace the cover with new one in case you discover any signs of deterioration.
- If you make the decision to utilize companies for storage or moving operations to cater for your mattress, ask them about the procedure they employ for its storage. The process should be explained in clear manner if you deal with a reputable firm.
A mattress of high quality ought to be protected and preserved as it is a prime investment of your domestic assets. The process which should be applied for storing it properly is rather simple. All you require knowing is what could possibly damage it and how to keep this from happening. The simple tips above are a sure way of preserving your mattress effectively, especially during its storage.